quarta-feira, 26 de fevereiro de 2020

Day 5 of 8 (16th July 2010), Kili Trek


Believe it or not, dawn is rising again. It’s 5:45 AM, and we hear the bell ringing and again I didn’t sleep much. My mouth was so dry so I drank lots of water that I had to go to the toilet in the middle of the night (around 00:40), and this is when I fell thankful for having that little tent with a toilet inside. Actually, the toilet is just a seat with 2 deposits: one with clean water and a second one where the waste water is stoked. I can’t stop feeling sorry for Arnold who needs to clean and carry the toilet from camp to camp. Don’t think that he's carrying it behind us while we walk, outside the camps you’re free to choose your own pee-spot.

Getting back to the sleepless nights, I now start getting used to it and apparently, it doesn’t affect my performance. I am feeling good, no symptoms of altitude sickness, I feel physically fit (I mean I hardly get tired or short of breath), and my signals are OK.
The dawn it’s very very cold, I can fell the wind striking through my bones. This morning I put my gloves on to keep our hands warm and a wool beanie, but Jonas doesn’t let us overdress thus when you walk you start warming up and then you need to peel off lots of stuff and carry it.

We have our breakfast at 6:15 and at 6:45 we are ready to leave the Barranco camp. I am still looking at the that big wall and feel a bit uncomfortable about climbing it. As we usually say: quem não arrisca, não petisca (kind of: no guts, no glory). Barranco is a scarp 300 high, around 9 story building: it’s rather impressive to look at it. If others made it before we can do it as well.
Today we leave our trekking poles behind, as Jonas clearly explained we will do mostly “Goat Climbing” and we won’t need them for the Barranco itself.
We were the second group to leave the camp, we were very happy and proud of ourselves. The trekking isn’t that hard, as you walk with your hands and feet on the floor. It’s tiresome e and physically demanding in the sense that you need to support your weight in the hands when you pull yourself and legs when you need to propel. One advice: look where you put your hands!! There is lots of spit and sputum everywhere, it’s disgusting.
We keep on climbing until we reach the “Kissing Stone”. I kissed her good, but I found she is too cold for me, so I just kept on going. Up to this point has been 20 minutes walk, we still have another 40 minutes to go to reach the top of Barranco.

Reaching the top is overwhelming. The view is so beautiful, we are above the clouds and it looks like an endless cotton candy cloth. Here you can have a sparkle of what infinity means.

We stopped for a few minutes for a rest and to admire the scenario, and then we left. Lots of people are now arriving and it’s getting crowded.
From Barranco we descend into a valley and there is a brutal change in the landscape once again: semi-Alpine desert. Some trees here and there, with some spots of lichens, meaning that we still have a good air quality. Unfortunately, going down means we will go high again.
Once again, Jonas picks the garbage other groups left. It’s a noble attitude.
In some places we cross water streams that are still frozen, this is how cold it is today, regardless of the sun.
After 3:40h we reached Karanga Camp and, once again, we were the firsts to arrive to the camp site, according to camp’s records. Perfect timing for a “shower”: wash hands, armpits and feet, and change underwear and socks. That’s all we get, and we are thankful for that.

In this Camp there is plenty of signal, so I can call home and talk with kids and husband.
After some rest, we had a wonder lunch: Celery soup, chicken with fries, sauteed vegetables, lots of different fruit (watermelon, oranges and tangerine) to supply us the required nutrients for us to keep fit for the trek.
Beatus, the cook, makes wonders with the scarce resources available in the mountain and Jonas is very careful when it comes to choose the ingredients and nutrients for our daily meals.


After lunch we can finally have some rest, read some pages of my book and had a nice nap. They never let us sleep too long, as they want us to have a nice rest during the night. I have been having problems to sleep during the nights: the mattress and the cold make it very difficult to find a good position to sleep.
The afternoons are endless…most of the times we arrive early to the camps, after the trek, and we have lots of free time. Just don’t forget to bring your book, your sketch book, whatever keeps you busy.

We gave a nice walk through the camp site expecting to find some familiar faces. Here and there we get to meet some nice people, from all over the globe. It’s incredible how these camps look like a Babel.
By misfortune, my phone cord doesn’t work anymore, what makes go around the camp looking for people who are willing to share their charging cord with a perfect stranger. Luckily enough our neighbors (a father and daughter from Australia traveling together since Rwanda), are willing to lend me their cord, if I allow the girl to use our toilet. Seems a fair trade to me. After some easy talk, we agreed to stick together so they can use our toilet and I can charge my phone. It’s a nice symbiosis.
Today Jonas gave us a small stone, very dark from volcanic origin as a gift and souvenir. I am going to label it so I don’t forget my Kilimanjaro experience.
Dinner was vegetable stew, rice and green peas. Seems like we can’t have meet any longer, as after a certain height our body doesn’t tolerate it anymore.
Our heart rate and SO2 are very good and no symptoms of HAS. I am amazed. Having listened to all the experiences of friends I was expecting to feel some kind of unconformable, like headache or bellyache, but I am feeling surprisingly good.
And here we are, ready for some rest again.

Sem comentários: